Bridging the digital divide! We aim to inspire young men and women to reach for the skies in ICTs in a safe and healthy environment. P.O. Box 309 Bamenda, Republic of CameroonEmail:corneliustawong@gmail.com

Nouveauté: Cliquez Pour Traduire Mon Blog En Français

Friday 13 March 2015

Public Documents on Southern Cameroons Unification From Pro, XII By Verkijika Fanso

Our 12th PRO document (CO554/2265XC3406, dated July 21st 1961) is the continuation of the Foumban Constitutional Talks, the second and closing Session of the Conference. The speeches by Ahidjo, Foncha and Endeley deal with what has been accomplished during the Conference, leaving other matters not covered for the forthcoming tripartite talks in Yaounde in August 1961. The frankness and spirit of fraternity demonstrated in the speeches makes one to wonder why things changed against Southern Cameroons after unification on 1st October 1961.
FOUMBAN CONFERENCE
SECOND SESSION 4:45PM JULY 21ST 1961
HIS EXCELLENCY THE PRESIDENT AHIDJO
I declare the Session open. The floor is given to the Prime Minist of the Southern Cameroons.
Your Excellency, I wish to make just a few remarks on the proposals we made on the draft proposal submitted for the Southern Cameroons delegation. I do not wish to comment on all of the points we have presented to you, but it is my place just to say the spirit in which we make those recommendations. For three days, we sat over the papers Your Excellency produced for us and we looked into all the clauses and we found many things quite agreeable to us and we found some, though agreeable, needed some little suggestion from us and we did so. We had heated debate on some of the points and I can assure you that it stemmed from the fact that we wished to produce the best for our country. Our recommendation, therefore, has nothing inamicable but something we feel the future Federation of Cameroon will be proud of if we take the pains to reason well and put down just what is practicable.
I do not at this stage want to claim that we are perfect in our recommendation but I want to assure you that what we suggest is not far from being perfect if Your Excellency and your party will consider those points seriously and take them. I want to remark this: that the recommendation we made stem out of the brotherly feeling we have towards the Republic of Cameroon. We feel that we are building our house, and not building a house for anybody, and any suggestion that we make to strengthen that house you may be sure stems from our very best interest.
I must be frank and say that in my opinion we have done a greater part of the Constitutional points which should be agreed upon if we all can agree upon the points so far produced. I envisage a further meeting, but the meeting will merely be to iron out the few words which are not understood either by you or by us and to add some of the things which we might not have put properly. I have said that I do not want to make any comments on all that is put down here, but this general remark, then, will give the floor to Your Excellency also. But perhaps before Your Excellency speaks, it would be necessary for Dr. Endeley, Leader of the Opposition, to reaffirm some of the things which I have said with regard to the draft.
DR. E.M.L ENDELEY
Mr. President, Honourable Ministers, Gentlemen, I have great pleasure to associating myself with my colleague, the Premier of Southern Cameroons. I must say that in my last talk I said we were here with an open heart and to work as a team. We have succeeded in working as a team in looking through the proposals which were placed by your Government before the Southern Cameroons delegation.
There were proposals which were the result of great thought by experts, legal experts, and therefore, it took more time than we thought it would take. We do not presume that we have found the answer to the problems which will unify the two Cameroons, but we have given an indication of what we think and what we feel. All we request is that you should receive our proposals as an indication of our good intentions and goodwill for a union. It is like a young brother who is anxious to live with an elder brother. If the elder brother receives him very coldly or doesn’t give him any encouragement he may feel very discouraged. Much of the desire of the people of Southern Cameroons to unite with their brothers will depend on the attitude of the Republic of Cameroon and the manner in which they treat these proposals.
I am very happy for one thing, and for this, I have again to thank the Sultan of Foumban and his people. That we have been able to continue our discussion in very good humour and under very happy atmosphere. We do not feel that we are in a strange country at all. And this, I think we owe to the friendliness and the peaceful atmosphere of Foumban. In the midst of work we have been able to relax.
Finally, Mr. President, I would wish to say one thing and this I would try to convey through you. This is to our brothers who have gone wild in the bush. If I, as Opposition Leader, and my colleague can reconcile with Mr. Foncha, I cannot see why those who are the opposition and have gone will in the bush cannot reconcile with your government. I have had great reason to feel that Mr. Foncha is an enemy to me and I would not work together with him, as the terrorists have failed against President Ahidjo.
We have come to set an example, that by working together we can make a better country. If by this example which I have set with my colleague, we cannot produce a peaceful Cameroon, then we will be a laughing stock to the country.
Many people thought that this Conference would be a failure and that it would not work, as it is the first Conference and it has succeeded.
I am convinced that all other conferences after this will succeed. And therefore, Mr. President, I am appealing to those brothers who have gone wild to cease fire and cooperate with us and come back to help make Cameroon a peaceful country. We should not use our arms against our brothers; we should use them against our enemies.
Mr. President, I do not believe that what we have taken four days to answer you might find an answer to every clause that we have put before you. As my colleague, the Premier, said, we only concentrated in dealing with the more urgent matters which would make union on 1st October possible. There are other matters which I think we can treat as secondary and which we can deal with later on.

Finally, Mr. President, on behalf of my colleagues, I am very grateful for the indulgence you have given us to look through your papers and your proposals at a time which was convenient to us. I pledge our loyalty and determination to be at your service any time you wish, any time you think necessary for the betterment of Southern Cameroons. Thank you very much.
SOUTHERN CAMEROONS INDEPENCE CONSTITUTION OR ORDERS IN COUNCIL
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SsvkeIjJyEV1ItT0t4RW5BM1U/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Software